“Alike” – Preview Questions
- What is creativity?
- What are the qualities of a good parent?
- What are parents’ responsibilities to their children?
First Jigsaw Grouping
After discussing the three questions above, divide students into 5 groups. Each group is responsible for answering one of the following questions/tasks after watching the film. Provide questions in advance so students know which question they will be discussing after the film.
- Give a summary of the film.
- What do you think about the short film “Alike”?
- What problem(s) does “Alike” illustrate?
- How is color used in the film?
- What do you think the film’s message is?
Here’s a link to the Alike video. Stop the video at 4:55 and ask, “What do you think will happen next?”
After finishing the film, discuss your question. All members should share their ideas.
Second Jigsaw Grouping
Next, divide into new groups by assigning each person in the first group a letter, such as A, B, or C. In the new groups all the As should be together, all the Bs together and all the Cs together. Now discuss how your group answered questions 1-5 above.
From the list below, each person should choose one question they would like to ask the group. Discuss as many questions as time permits.
Critical Thinking and Personal Connection Discussion Questions
- How can we solve the problems presented in the film?
- What gives you color?
- What makes you lose color?
- If you have children, how would you like to raise them?
- How alike or different are you from your parents?
- What is one thing you would like to change about your routine?
- What is the difference between innovation and creativity?
- What are some ways to add more creativity to our lives?
- If you could change one thing about society, what would it be?
- What is the bravest thing you’ve done for love?
End the discussion with a whole class wrap up.
Alike was produced by Daniel Martínez Lara of Pepe-School-Land, a film school in Barcelona.
If you enjoyed the short and want to know more about it, visit Alike’s homepage.