Watching TV shows is an excellent way to improve your English.
What are the benefits of watching TV?
- hear real English and learn how people actually use it
- hear and see grammar structures in use
- learn new vocabulary, expressions, and idioms in context
- improve listening and pronunciation skills
- improve speaking skills
- learn about culture
Young Sheldon Season 1 Episode 12
Young Sheldon is an American television comedy series. It is a spin-off prequel to The Big Bang Theory. Sheldon Cooper is a super smart 9-year-old living in Texas with his family. He goes to the same high school as his older brother, who struggles in school. Their father is a football coach at their high school. Their mother is a devout Christian. Their grandmother (mother’s mother) lives across the street.
Characters: Sheldon, Memaw (grandmother), Mary (mom), George Sr. (dad), Georgie (older brother), and Missy (Sheldon’s twin sister)
Watch this clip at least 3 times:
- Watch and try to understand.
- Watch and note any unfamiliar words or phrases.
- Play the clip again. Listen and try to complete the cloze below.
- Read the script, check your answers, and watch again (CC will give you inaccurate subtitles for this clip).
- Re-watch to improve your listening skills
- Pay attention to tone and the rhythm of the language
Situation: Sheldon’s mom and dad are having an argument. His mom is staying at her mother’s house.
Georgie and Sheldon are talking in the hallway at school.
Cloze: Listen and try to fill in the blanks.
Georgie: Hey. I hope you’re happy.
Sheldon: Thank you Georgie, that’s very kind.
Georgie: Mom and dad are fighting because you ___________ _____ get a stupid computer.
Sheldon: _________ _________ you ______________ about?
Georgie: Mom wanted to buy it for you, dad said they couldn’t _______________ it, Memaw offered to pay for it, now I’m _______________ pineapple spears for lunch. I hate ____________ my own lunch.
Sheldon: I’m sorry Georgie. I didn’t know.
Georgie: Yeah, well now you do. ___________ _________ _________ get?
Sheldon: A turkey sandwich mom cut in the shape of a heart, a fruit cup, a brownie, and a note from Memaw saying how much she loves me. I haven’t read it yet, but ______ _________ it’s a lot.
Georgie: I don’t even have a can opener!
- What misunderstanding happens in this scene? What causes the misunderstanding?
- Why is Georgie upset?
- What does “I bet” mean in Sheldon’s last line?
- What do you think the outcome of the episode will be?
afford: have enough money to pay for something
I bet: I’m sure something is true.
If you enjoyed this post or found it helpful, support Apoven by liking or sharing. 🙂 Thanks for visiting!