Georgie and Sheldon in the hallway at school
Georgie: Hey. I hope you’re happy.
Sheldon: Thank you Georgie, that’s very kind.
Georgie: Mom and dad are fighting because you want to get a stupid computer.
Sheldon: What are you talking about?
Georgie: Mom wanted to buy it for you, dad said they couldn’t afford it, Memaw offered to pay for it, now I’m eating pineapple spears for lunch. I hate making my own lunch.
Sheldon: I’m sorry Georgie. I didn’t know.
Georgie: Yeah, well now you do. What did you get?
Sheldon: A turkey sandwich mom cut in the shape of a heart, a fruit cup, a brownie, and a note from Memaw saying how much she loves me. I haven’t read it yet, but I bet it’s a lot.
Georgie: I don’t even have a can opener!
Questions and Answers
- What are 2 misunderstandings that happen in these scenes? What causes the misunderstandings?
- Sheldon misunderstands Georgie’s implied meaning when Georgie says, “I hope you’re happy.” with an angry tone. Sheldon is very smart, but doesn’t always pick up on social cues like tone.
- What do you think to wake up on the wrong side of the bed means?
- It means to wake up in a bad mood, especially with no known reason.
- Why is Georgie upset?
- He’s upset because he isn’t getting the food he wants. He wants a better breakfast with meat. He wants a better lunch. No one made him lunch, so he only has a can of pineapples he can’t open, so he basically has no lunch.
- What does “I bet” mean in Sheldon’s last line?
- It means I’m sure/I’m certain.
- What do you think the outcome of the episode will be?
- Answers will vary, but the real outcome is that the parents make-up and Sheldon’s mom buys him the computer.