Situation: Two friends are talking about their English classes and studying for tests.
Su Rin: How is your English class this semester?
Min Hee: Great! We talk a lot in English. I think I’m going to ace the final exam.
Su Rin: Really? My class is killer. The professor never stops talking, and we have pop quizzes every class. I’m so tired of pulling all-nighters. I’m afraid I’m going to flunk.
Su Rin: True. One more night of cramming, and then I take my final test. I just hope I don’t oversleep. Our professor won’t let us make up the final if we miss it.
Min Hee: Yeah, oversleeping and missing a test can really hurt your grade on the curve. Don’t stay up too late. Getting enough sleep is just as important as studying.
Vocabulary Definitions in Context
Note: In other situations, some of these words have a different meaning.
ace/ace a test (v.) = to do extremely well, to earn a high grade, to get an A
cram (v.) = to study a lot in a short period of time right before a test
flunk (v.) = to fail a test or a class
killer (adj.) = extremely difficult
make up (n./v.) = second chance to do an assignment or take a test/quiz
pop quiz (n.) = surprise test
pull an all-nighter = stay awake all night, usually to study
slack off (v.) = become less active and do something with less effort or energy than before
the curve (n.) = a system in which grades are based on performance relative to other students
Test your knowledge: Fill in the blanks.
Context clues will help you! Think about the situation to determine which word is missing from each sentence.
|pull an all-nighter||slack off||cramming||killer|
- I forgot we had a test. I didn’t study. I think I’m going to ____________ this test.
- With the curve, only 4 students can get As. If you _________________ now, you might not get an A.
- That was a _____________ test. It was the hardest test I have ever taken.
- He doesn’t speak English well, but he worked hard all semester. I heard he__________ the class!
- The professor gave a ________________ today. If I had known, I would not have been absent.
- The professor agreed to let me ________________ the quiz I missed the day I was absent.
- I have to ___________________________ to study for my English test.
- I didn’t sleep at all last night because I was _________________ for finals.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for the answers.
Questions for Discussion
- What advice would you give to someone who flunked a test?
- When was the last time you took a killer test?
- What’s the best way to ace a class?
- What are the advantages of pop quizzes?
- What are the disadvantages of cramming?
- Should teachers give make-up tests? Why or why not?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the curve?
- slack off
- pop quiz
- make up
- pull an all-nighter
If you enjoyed this post or found it helpful, help support Apoven by liking, pinning, or sharing. 🙂
Thanks for visiting!