Situation: Two friends are talking about their English classes and studying for tests.
Su Rin: How is your English class this semester?
Min Hee: Great! We talk a lot in English. I think I’m going to ace the final exam.
Su Rin: Really? My class is killer. The professor never stops talking, and we have pop quizzes every class. I’m so tired of pulling all-nighters. I’m afraid I’m going to flunk.
Su Rin: True. One more night of cramming, and then I take my final test. I just hope I don’t oversleep. Our professor won’t let us make up the final if we miss it.
Min Hee: Yeah, oversleeping and missing a test can really hurt your grade on the curve. Don’t stay up too late. Getting enough sleep is just as important as studying.
Vocabulary Definitions in Context
Note: In other situations, some of these words have a different meaning.
ace/ace a test (v.) = to do extremely well, to earn a high grade, to get an A
cram (v.) = to study a lot in a short period of time right before a test
flunk (v.) = to fail a test or a class
killer (adj.) = extremely difficult
make up (n./v.) = second chance to do an assignment or take a test/quiz
pop quiz (n.) = surprise test
pull an all-nighter = stay awake all night, usually to study
slack off (v.) = become less active and do something with less effort or energy than before
the curve (n.) = a system in which grades are based on performance relative to other students
Test your knowledge: Fill in the blanks.
Context clues will help you! Think about the situation to determine which word is missing from each sentence.
|pull an all-nighter||slack off||cramming||killer|
Scroll to the bottom of the page for the answers.
Questions for Discussion
- What advice would you give to someone who flunked a test?
- When was the last time you took a killer test?
- What’s the best way to ace a class?
- What are the advantages of pop quizzes?
- What are the disadvantages of cramming?
- Should teachers give make-up tests? Why or why not?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the curve?
- What are the qualities of a good student?
- What are the qualities of a good teacher?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of tests?
If you enjoyed this post or found it helpful, help support Apoven and other English learners by liking, pinning, tweeting or sharing. 🙂
Thanks for visiting!